Friday, March 8, 2013

Garnier Olia Permanent Hair Color






Garnier's Olia is a new "oil powered" permanent hair color that has been getting quite a bit of buzz in magazines recently. It is ammonia free and a 60% oil blend with natural flower oils which restores hair smoothness and shine. It claims to "help reverse roughness and dullness for more brilliant, dimensional color and softer, shinier hair with more bounce." Did it live up to the hype?

In a word, no. First, I was a little disappointed by the shade selection at Target. On the website, there are 24 shades, but there were significantly fewer at Target and because the boxes are so large, they were merchandised in a weird sideways position. I usually go for ashy shades in order to avoid redness and the only "ash" color I found was 6.1 Light Ash Brown. As you can tell just from the box, the color really isn't that light.

Olia was easy enough to use and there really wasn't much of a scent. I slapped it on my hair and 30 minutes later, I was ready to rinse. Rinsing was kind of weird because as much as I tried to wash it out, my hair felt really sticky and oily. I quickly re-read the instruction sheet because I thought maybe I was supposed to actually shampoo it out. Turns out, I missed a step where you were supposed to vigorously massage your hair/head in order to facilitate the rinsing. Oops. The problem I have with that step is that you're supposed to put the gloves back on, but I had already thrown them away and I don't think I can be expected to wear them for half an hour! After I used the included After Color Conditioner (tube 3), my hair felt decent enough.

The results were just okay. I really couldn't see a big difference in the color of my hair although my roots seem to have evened out. My hair also didn't feel significantly smoother, softer or shinier. Overall, I was left a little disappointed. I think I will try something else next time, maybe the Revlon Buttercream?

If you want to give Olia a try, it is available at Target, Wal-Mart and drugstore everywhere. I paid $8.99 for mine and also had a $3 off coupon.

No comments:

Post a Comment