Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Asparagus Bacon Pasta


Since I neglected Tasty Tuesday for so long, you get a 2fer today including a recipe!

I love pasta. It's quick, easy, can be healthy and there are an almost infinite ways to make it. One of my favorites is a quick toss with bacon and asparagus. This is also great with spinach or peas, but really you could pick any of your favorite veggies. Here's how to do it.

Asparagus & Bacon Pasta

Pasta - I used thin spaghetti, but you can use whatever you have on hand
Bacon, cut into little pieces, 1-2 slices per person
Asparagus, cut into 1" pieces, I like a lot!
Garlic or garlic powder, to taste
Lemon
Parmesan cheese, grated, handful
Red pepper flakes, just a pinch
Salt

Bring a pot of water to boil and cook pasta according to package instructions

Cook bacon until almost crispy. Drain most of the fat and add asparagus and garlic. If your asparagus is really thick you will probably want to blanch them first - it's easy just add to the pasta pot about 2 minutes before pasta is set to be done

Add drained pasta to pan. Season to taste with lemon juice, parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes and salt. 

Eat! 

I love carbs so I like to serve my pasta with parmesan garlic bread. To make the bread, I just spread some butter on bread (any kind, but I like baguettes) and top with garlic powder and parmesan then stick in my toaster oven until golden.


Really, I'm embarrassed to even call that a recipe. It's more of a method that you could use with anything. Like I said I really like spinach or peas as well. It might also be good with something like tuna instead of bacon. Or left over chicken or ham. Oh and in the picture above, I topped my pasta with Onion Crunch. I'm kind of addicted to the stuff which is sort of like French's Fried Onions, but not exactly. It reminds me more of the fried shallots you can get at Asian markets. I bought a huge jar of Onion Crunch at Costco and add it to everything. So unhealthy lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment